My Awesome DIY Letterbox

When I lived in Sydney, I bought my first home. It was a lovely little cottage, a modest front, and great location near Backwattle Bay in Glebe Point. Narrow, but long enough and somehow large enough to contain 3 bedrooms.

I loved it, and I still wish I had not sold it (though keeping it would have made no sense at all). This is me in front of the house:

Anyway, on a recent trip back to Sydney I took the opportunity of going to visit my little house, seeing what had changed.

You can imagine my surprise when I saw this!!!! OK, so its a little green on top, but that points more to a lack of maintenance than to a lack of craftsmanship….

I may need to explain. When I first moved in, the house had no letterbox. Letters used to be left on the front porch. So one day, feeling creative and coming over all DIY, I made my own letterbox. It was always meant to be a short term solution, one that even I did not intend to make last.

Well its STILL THERE!!! Almost 8 years later, unchanged and unlatered from the original genius design, which enabled letters to be slotted in, or in fact placed by lifting the hinged lid.

I suddenly have a new sense of faith in my DIY abilities, and all the things I have gerry-fixed in my flat in London have taken on a whole new appearance of long term stability.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Buildings, Design

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

6 Comments on “My Awesome DIY Letterbox”

1. Lisse
    January 17, 2011 at 9:18 am #

That’s hilarious Max. I have also been wondering what happened to your contraceptive lounge… perhaps your next post???

• January 17, 2011 at 9:25 am #

Unlikely to qualify for a blog post, but you will be pleased to know that the couch is going strong, looks pretty much exactly the way it did when it was bought, and is a perfect fit in my flat in London.

2. Therese
    May 9, 2012 at 4:32 am #

I live next door to this house now, want me to check on your mailbox?? = )

• May 9, 2012 at 6:57 am #

You DO!!! I loved living there, I owned the house for 6 years, and really miss it! Thanks for your comment.

3. October 10, 2012 at 8:28 am #

I was googling DIY letterboxes and came across your post in amongst all the odd and novelty ones. I just want a basic letterbox that can replace the rusty one surviving on one hinge we currently have. I will be copying yours. It’s just right.

• October 11, 2012 at 8:57 am #

Why thank you. Thats very kind! Good luck – post a photo of when you are done.