World’s Strangest Buildings

I love architecture, and I love it when architects, clients and city councillors allow things to be built that push the envelope and create something a little different and unique.

In that context, I must admit that I am still making up my mind a little about these offerings:

Check out a full list of 50 of the World’s Strangest Buildings at this great Village of Joy post.

Posted by Caspar Schlickum 2010

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: Design

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

7 Comments on “World’s Strangest Buildings”

1. Natalie
    September 20, 2010 at 8:10 am #

You can’t question the wonder of the Ginger and Fred building in Prague…that is a classic…pure vision!

• September 20, 2010 at 9:17 am #

I can’t help but agree, its like Gaudi got up from under the tram that killed him and designed one last building!

2. Adam
    September 20, 2010 at 9:32 am #

It’s very hard to avoid the conclusion that most of the buildings on that site are bad architecture, on the basis that they have no consideration for form and structure and are the architectural equivalent of slapstick comedy. Cheap and meaningless but always get a response.
    That said, I agree with Natalie that the Fred and Ginger bulding is something very special, and I also think the last imploding house is conceptually incredibly clever as it really reconfigures and questions what a building actually is. It asks questions in a way all the other twee offerings cannot.

• September 21, 2010 at 8:27 am #

Yeah, slapstick architecture is probably good word for most of these! A fair point, and it sounds like we are in unanimous agreement that the F&G building is an exception here.

3. dennis
    September 21, 2010 at 11:49 pm #

the frank gehry in prague is brilliant and has been one of my favorites since i walked by it rather accidentally (and nearly tripped over myself) in the mid-90’s…

4. September 22, 2010 at 7:19 am #

You know I have never actually seen it, despite of the fact that I have been to prague a few times. I’m sure to go back, so will look out for it. thanks for your comment.

5. Ceren