So I know its not exactly original to write about the topic of all the technology in the Minority Report movie (for example, see here), but recent chat in the office made me think about how every day brings us closer to world depicted in the film.
A quick look across the internet yields the following:
1. Precogs: In first place, and the article that inspired this piece, comes the news that not at all uncontroversially, Florida State Department of Juvenile Justice is going to introduce software which is able to predict crime by potential offenders who will then be placed into prevention and education programs. Seriously cool, seriously weird too though.
2. Facial Recognition Advertising: is now a reality in Japan, and probably soon elsewhere. Powerful even alone, but even more so in combination with the flexibility of digital outdoor, the interactivity of augmented reality and the response of QR codes
3. Interactive Screens and the glove mouse: the Microsoft Surface has been around for ages, and is finding useful applications, the Sony AtracTable is the new kid on the block. So that’s nice, but really why constrain yourself. The glove mouse is much cooler, and much closer to the real thing. It cannot be along before these are everywhere (please!)
4. The self driving car: as boldly driven by the top gear team.
5. 3D Holograms: brilliantly used and demonstrated on a live broadcast on CNN during the Obama campaign.
6. Micro Robots: that learn from each other and work together to complete complex tasks (ok, so working out that there is a coin in your path and knowing to lift yourself up is not exactly life changing, but its pretty cool anyway)
I’m sure there are more. Tell me about them!
(With thanks to Guilhem Tamisier and Ceren Doganay for inspiring the office chat that sparked an hour long of fun research that went into this article)